Frequently Asked Questions

Does Daughterly Care have a waiting list for new clients?2023-11-24T12:40:21+10:00

We have NO WAITING LIST to start providing services for new clients. 

For 21 years we have operated our private in home care business so that we are always recruiting experienced Carers and training new Carers to meet the growing demand for Daughterly Care’s in home aged care services. In the past, this approach has met the growing demand for our services nicely. As at July 2018 it is taking up to 2 weeks to start SOME new clients because with the Consumer Directed Care Reforms, Elders can now move their Government Subsidised In Home Care Package to which ever Approved Provider they like.  Many Government Funded clients are transferring their Home Care Package to Daughterly Care Community Services to enjoy the high service and quality Caregivers that private care clients have always enjoyed at Daughterly Care.

How quickly can Daughterly Care start private care services for a new client?2023-11-24T12:40:22+10:00

Covid has impacted the aged care worker market massively.  It brought forward retirement for many mature aged care workers, stopped care workers entering Australia, forced some care workers to return home to their country of origin and took care workers out of the market as they stayed home to supervise their school aged children, where they have stayed. Further, “living with Covid” means we still regularly have Caregivers catching Covid and having to take 10 days off work.

As a result, of these shocks to the employment market, we simply cannot employ enough new staff to enable us to take on new clients, at the rate that we accepted new clients during our first 23 years of our business.

All in home care providers are in the exact same position, so ask to be added to our waiting list.  Tell us:

  1. the ideal days and times would you like a service ;and
  2. what will be our role;

When we can cover a new client in your suburb, we will contact you to see if you are still seeking our services.  At that point we will visit you, in your home to:

  1. explain how we work;
  2. answer any questions you have;
  3. understand your care needs and goals;
  4. understand our role; and
  5. to identify Government Funding you might be eligible for.

Meeting you in your home helps us choose a Caregiver, or a small team of Caregivers, to best meet your care needs, match your personality and write a Care Plan that our Caregivers follow each visit.

Based on our discussion with you, our Registered Nurse  / Care Manager documents a Care Plan for our Caregivers to follow each visit.

Do I need an ACAT Assessment to receive services from Daughterly Care?2023-11-24T12:40:23+10:00

No you don’t. If you want private in home care services where you pay us directly for your in home care services then no, you don’t need an assessment from the ACAT team. ACAT stands for Aged Care Assessment Team and they operate out of your local hospital. One of their jobs is to assess elderly Australians to decide what level of government subsidised in home care package they are entitled to. Government funding for in home care can be worth up to $55,315.75 a year per person. So if you are paying for our home care services privately, no you don’t need an ACAT Assessment.

If you are a pensioner or will be paying for your services via a Home Care Package, so that the Government pays for our services for you, then yes you do need an assessment by ACAT.

Tip: Unfortunately, most elderly people will not allow in home care services to start until they have a health care crisis, commonly hospitalisation and it’s become a dire choice between being placed into a nursing home or accepting in home care services in their own home.

In this scenario the elder will need support straight away to successfully return home and they can’t wait for:

1. an assessment by ACAT;

2. to be assigned their Government Funded Home Care Package before starting their care which can currently take up 2 years. As at March 2018 there are over 100,000 elders waiting for a Home Care Package. The process of applying for Government funding has waiting lists each step of the way. Elders with savings can afford to pay privately for care, pensioners often cannot.

This is why it is so important to realise that organising an ACAT Assessment and being assigned an in Home Care Package takes time, so get organised and proactive regarding your health and stay in control of your life…and get your Government Subsidised Home Care Package to avoid the nursing home:

1. How to apply for your Home Care Package

2. while waiting, do your research on which Approved Provider you would like to deliver your in home care e.g. Daughterly Care Community Services so that when your Government funded Home Care Package is allocated, you already know who you want to provide your care:

14 Reasons to choose Daughterly Care

Meet 21 exceptional Caregivers and Live in Carers

When do you invoice me for in home care services?2018-10-16T14:06:49+10:00

We invoice after our in home care service has been provided.

If you are paying for our in home care services privately then we will invoice you fortnightly.

  • Our terms of business are 7 days however when you pay by Direct Debit (our preferred method) we only deduct the invoiced amount AFTER 14 days, giving you time to check our invoice and get back to us if there is a problem. We are known for having accurate invoices.
  • Importantly, we only direct debit you if we have provided services for the past fortnight, so if we have not provided private home care services, you can be rest assured, nothing will be deducted from your bank account.
  • In limited situations where a direct debit cannot be put in place our Terms of Business are 7 days and you can pay by transfer direct into our bank account, cash or by cheque.

If your Government funded Home Care Package is paying for our services then we will send you a monthly Home Care Statement and invoice you for the Basic Daily Care Fee1, and your Income Tested Care Fee1 (only paid by part-pensioners and self-funded retirees) monthly.

1These two fees are stipulated by the Department of Human Services.

If I have a DVA card can I get an In Home Care Package?2023-11-24T12:40:23+10:00

Understanding Veterans Home Care Packages and Consumer Directed Care (CDC)

Department of Veterans’ Affairs Programs

The Department of Veterans Affairs’ (DVA) is responsible for carrying out Government policy and implementing programs to fulfil Australia’s obligations to war veterans and their dependents. DVA offers a range of programs to assist Veterans and war widows/widowers with their health and wellbeing and who wish to live independently in their own home with some assistance.

How do I confirm qualifying service?

To confirm qualifying service, you will need to complete a form based on the circumstances of your service, every application is considered on individual merit. If you are:

  • A current or ex-member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF);
  • A Commonwealth or Allied Veteran;
  • If you served with the Armed Forces of the Republic of Vietnam;
  • If you served with the Forces in Yugoslavia in the Second World War; or
  • An Australian or Allied Mariner.

Programs and services available through DVA include:

Veterans’ Home Care Program (VHC)

Administered through DVA and provides a range of services for low-level home care to veterans, war widows/widowers. The aim of VHC is to assist veterans to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible.

VHC services include:

  • Domestic assistance;
  • Personal care;
  • Safety-related home and garden services; and
  • Respite (in-home, residential and emergency).

When a veteran, war widow/widower has increasingly complex care needs, they should be referred to the ACAT team for assessment for a Home Care Package. If approved, the Home Care Package becomes the primary source of care.

Coordinated Veterans’ Care Program (CVC)

Provides ongoing, planned and coordinated primary and community care led by a G.P. with a nurse coordinator. Must be a Gold Card holder and have a chronic condition or complex care needs and are at risk of hospitalisation.

Eligibility for the CVC program is determined by the G.P. services offered by Home Care Packages level 1 and 2 generally do not duplicate services provided by CVC. DVA may provide recipients of VHC and CVC with additional services such as:

  • Community nursing;
  • Rehabilitation aides;
  • Allied health services; and
  • Transport.

If these services are not being met by a Home Care Package.

Community Nursing

DVA community nursing is offered by the DVA Community Nursing Programm, to address a range of clinical and/or personal care needs in the veterans own home. Referral is through:

  • G.P.;
  • Treating doctor in a hospital;
  • Hospital discharge planner;
  • Nurse practitioner; or
  • VHC Assessment Agency.

Allied Health

DVA funds all health services necessary to meet the clinical needs for Gold Card holders. For White Card holders, DVA will fund those services required because of their “accepted war caused or service related condition(s)”. Examples of allied health services include,

  • Social work;
  • Psychologist;
  • Occupational therapist;
  • Podiatrist;
  • Physio; and
  • Dietitian.

Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)

Provision of aids and appliances to minimise the impact of disabilities, maximise independence and enhance quality of life. Examples include:

  • Wheel chairs;
  • Shower chairs;
  • Walking frames;
  • Continence products;
  • Over toilet chair;
  • Airflow Mattress;
  • Hoist;
  • Sit to stand electric chair;
  • Electronic lift hospital bed;
  • Home oxygen; and
  • Diabetic supplies.

Transport (RTS)

The Repatriation Scheme provides eligible veterans and war widows/widowers (entitled persons) assistance with transport when they attend a health provider for medical treatment. Modes of transport include:

  • Private vehicle;
  • Public transport;
  • Community transport;
  • Taxi/hire care; or
  • Air travel.

In some cases DVA will pay for other related expenses such as, accommodation and food.

DVA clients and Community Aged Care Packages

Veterans and war widows/widowers have the same right of access to Home Care Packages as any other member of the community. Once approved by an ACAT as eligible, a Home Care Package becomes the primary source of care for the veteran, war widow/widower. Some services may still be provided by DVA, as long as duplication can be avoided. In some circumstances, DVA will cover the co-payment once a Home Care Package has been approved.

There are many advantages to a DVA card

A National Parks Exemption card gives you free entry into all NSW National Parks and Reserves. If you hold a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC), or are a veteran receiving an EDA, Intermediate Rate, Blinded, TPI or TTI pension (Gold Card), you can apply for an exemption card. You can lodge your application via email or post. Alternatively, you can visit a service centre or CLICK HERE for details.

Benefits and Payments Last updated 16 October 2014

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) provides support to current and former serving members and their families through a range of benefits (including ongoing or one off payments). For example, support may be available in the case of:

  • Injury, disease or death;
  • Permanent impairment;
  • Incapacity for work or service;
  • Needing ongoing household and attendant care;
  • Needing treatment such as health care; or
  • Loss of or damage to medical aids.

Veterans’ Health Cards DVA issues health cards to eligible veterans and former members of the Australian Defence Force, their widows/widowers and dependents. There are different eligibility requirements for each type of card.

The Gold Card – ‘Repatriation Health Card – For All Conditions’ gives you access to a wide range of public and private health care services, for the treatment, at the department’s expense, of all your health care conditions whether war or service related or not.

The White Card – ‘Repatriation Health Card – For Specific Conditions’ gives access to a wide range of public and private health care services for the treatment, at the department’s expense, if your disabilities and c